What I help people with
- Do I need counselling? I don't think anybody 'needs' counselling, I see it as an aid. Ultimately only you can decide - you know you best.
- How long will I need to come for? It is different for everyone, there are lots of external factors to therapy, like what is going on in your life which will impact on your process. Anywhere from 1 - 30 sessions is most common.
- Shouldn't I just talk to my friends & family? Yes do if you trust them. However, a professional who is trained and experienced can offer you a different kind of support, helping you feel and think differently about yourself and others. A therapist should not have an agenda as your friends and family might.
- Will it work? research has shown some therapy is better than no therapy at all. EMI therapy has a very high 'success rate'
- Which counsellor should I choose? It's difficult without actually meeting the counsellor in person. We all get on with people differently. I think it's important to feel comfortable enough to open up someone, but not so comfortable you don't find the process challenging to some degree. Maybe ask yourself "am I being challenged enough by my counsellor"...
- What type of counselling should I have? Mine! No, really research has shown that the model of counselling has a small part to play in the outcome of therapy, actually only 15%. Again what sounds best to you, is probably best.
Also take a look at the page Perceptions of Counselling which may answer some of your questions.