Frequently asked questions
- Do I need therapy? I don't think anybody 'needs' counselling, I see it as an aid. Ultimately only you can decide - you know you best.
- How long will I need to come for? It is different for everyone, there are lots of external factors to therapy, like what is going on in your life which will impact on your process. Anywhere from 1 - 30 sessions is most common.
- Shouldn't I just talk to my friends & family? Yes do if you trust them. However, a professional who is trained and experienced can offer you a different kind of support, helping you feel and think differently about yourself and others. A therapist should not have an agenda as your friends and family might.
- Will it work? research has shown some therapy is better than no therapy at all. Brainspotting EMDR, EMI, & IFS therapy are modern therapies that have a very high 'success rate'
- Which counsellor should I choose? It's difficult without actually meeting the counsellor in person. We all get on with people differently. I think it's important to feel comfortable enough to open up someone. I think it's also important that your therapist is trained in as many therapies as possible.
Also take a look at the page Perceptions of Counselling which may answer some of your questions.
Office 6, Mersey House, 140 Speke Rd, Garston, Liverpool L19 2PH
Website made by Chris Rudyard