How to listen to someone
Below are some guidelines to help support others by listening to them.
- Really try to understand what is might be like for them to have that problem.
- Reflect back what you sense or how you have heard what they have said.
- Do not try to cheer them up or get them to look on the 'bright side'.
- Try to hear the emotion behind what the person is really saying, or not saying.
- Try not to be distracted by external factors (T.v, time etc.)
- Do not try to push them into looking/talking about things they might not want to.
- Don't pretend to understand
- Don't ignore themes or the 'elephant in the room'...
- Let the person speak, don't butt in.
- Don't put your experience into the equation.